Building your social media presence can be a little frustrating, especially when the major platforms all require different image sizes. With that in mind we have gathered the information below to help you to get started.
Page profile pictures are square and display at 160×160 pixels on your Page. The photo you upload must be at least 180×180 pixels. We recommend uploading a square image. Rectangular images will be cropped to fit a square. Your Page’s profile picture will also display next to your Page’s name around Facebook to represent your Page.
You can be creative with how your Page’s profile picture and cover photo go together. On your Page, the profile picture is located 23 pixels from the left side of your cover photo and 210 pixels from the top of your cover photo.
Cover photos are 851 pixels wide and 315 pixels tall. If you upload an image that’s smaller than these dimensions, it will be stretched to this larger size. The image you upload must be at least 399 pixels wide and 150 pixels tall.
To get the fastest load times for your Page, upload an sRGB JPG file that’s 851 pixels wide, 315 pixels tall and less than 100 kilobytes. For images with your logo or text, you may get a higher quality result by using a PNG file.
The recommended file size for Twitter’s profile photo is 400 pixels x 400 pixels.
The recommended dimensions for the Twitter header photo is 1500 pixels x 500 pixels.
Note: The sizes above refer to the new Twitter page format that was released in April 2014. Photos can be GIF, JPG or PNG. Twitter does not support animated GIFs.
LinkedIn Company Page
The LinkedIn Company page requires three images
- Profile Image: This is the main image on the page and has a minimum file size of 646 pixels x 220 pixels or larger. Bigger images will need to be cropped, but you can choose the area you would like to display.
- Standard Logo: The standard logo is used to display your business name or brand. It will appear on your page 100 pixels x 60 pixels
- Square Logo: This logo is used in all the LinkedIn network updates for your page. The recommended size is 50 pixels x 50 pixels, but larger square logos will be automatically resized.
LinkedIn Group Page
LinkedIn Group pages also require three images
- Hero Image: This is the main image on the page and has a minimum file size of 646 pixels x 220 pixels or larger. Bigger images will need to be cropped, but you can choose the area you would like to display. File types accepted are PNG, JPEG and GIF at a maximum of 2MB file size.
- Group Logo: This logo appears in the Groups directory and on your group pages. Logo size is 100 pixels x 50 pixels. File types accepted are PNG, JPEG and GIF at a maximum of 100KB file size.
- Small Logo: This logo is automatically resized from the group logo and appears at a size of 60 pixels x 30 pixels.
This is the square icon that will filter through to become the YouTube Channel Icon (see below). The recommended file size is 250 pixels x 250 pixels. Don’t forget that the new G+ profile image icon is round so be aware that you will experience cropped corners of your image and may want to adjust for that scenario.
The Google Plus cover photo works on an aspect ratio of 16:9 and has a the following size specifications:
- Minimum image size of 480 pixels x 270 pixels.
- Maximum image size of 2120 pixels x 1192 pixels
- Optimum size to ensure that your information isn’t cropped or lost is 1080 pixels x 608 pixels.
Recommended image area for YouTube Channel Art is 2560 pixels x 1440 pixels with a maximum file size of 2MB. A PNG file is suitable in this instance, but be wary of your file size.
Your channel icon is linked to your connected Google+ account and needs to be edited there. See details above in the Google+ section.
Gravatar Profile Image
An “avatar” is an image that represents you online as a little picture that appears next to your name when you interact with websites.
A Gravatar is a Globally Recognized Avatar that you associate with your email address. You upload it and create your profile just once, and then when you participate in any Gravatar-enabled site, such as WordPress.com, your Gravatar image will automatically follow you there. Gravatar is a free service for site owners, developers, and users and you can have multiple Gravatars for multiple email addresses.
The display resolution of your Gravatar is usually 80 pixels x 80 pixels. Gravatars are square so although different shaped images can be uploaded, some user-selected cropping is required.
Your Pinterest profile picture is 165 pixels x 165 pixels. Uploading a photo with square dimensions of 600 pixels x 600 pixels works best and the image will automatically be resized to fit. Non-square images will be automatically centered, cropped and resized, so the picture you end up with may not be ideal.
Like Pinterest your Instagram profile photo needs to be square and a 250 pixel x 250 pixel image is fine. Please note that the Instagram app on your smart phone uses a round image, like Google +, but that the Instagram website uses a square image.
We hope this helps you to get started with social media and if we have missed anything please do not hesitate to get in touch.